About Us

Chapter History

 

Sigma Phi Chapter was chartered April 16. 1927, upon the initiative of G. D. Brantley, with the following charter members: G. D. Brantley, L. Emmett Drewery, William K. Payne, founders; and M. H. Griffin, J. H. Gilchrist, B. C. Jacobs, T. H. Randall, R. H. Smith and J. H. Taylor.  It was in 1927, the first year of the administration of Grand Basileus Julius S. McClain, who was elected Grand Basileus at the 15th Grand Conclave held in Chicago, IL in 1926, that nine new chapters were granted charters, including Sigma Phi at State teachers College, in Montgomery, Alabama. 

Sigma Phi Chapter, the first Greek letter organization to come to Montgomery, Alabama also established Gamma Sigma chapter, an undergraduate chapter at State Teachers College.  Gamma Sigma, Chapter was chartered April 1, 1936, in the same year of the founding of the Seventh District, which held its first Regional Conference April 24, 1936, at Fort Valley, Normal and Industrial School, Georgia.

Sigma Phi Chapter will observe its 92nd Anniversary with a Super Weekend celebration to include the Henry A. Spears Memorial Golf Tournament April 16, 2019. 

Fraternity History

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. is the first international fraternal organization to be founded on the campus of a historically black college.

Omega Psi Phi was founded on November 17, 1911, at Howard University in Washington, D.C. The founders were three Howard University undergraduates, -- Edgar Amos Love, Oscar James Cooper and Frank Coleman. Joining them was their faculty adviser, Dr. Ernest Everett Just.

From the initials of the Greek phrase meaning, "friendship is essential to the soul," the name Omega Psi Phi was derived. That phrase was selected as the motto.

Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance and Uplift were adopted as Cardinal Principles.

Like Us 
Tweet Us
Follow Us
Watch Us 
  • w-facebook
  • Twitter Clean
  • w-tumblr
  • w-youtube